POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire frame? : Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr= Server Time
6 Oct 2024 23:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr=
From: normdoering
Date: 9 Nov 2002 04:15:06
Message: <web.3dccd13b195c50e45c65a5ba0@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>normdoering <nor### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>> Has anyone worked with this feature and webpublished, written similar
>> macros? More examples would be a help.
>
>  Yes, there are some famous macro sets made by people which handle
>meshes. For example the surface subdivision suite (by John VanSickle),
>which allows automatically making a mesh more detailed than the original,
>as well as the POV-Ray compressed mesh handler macros (by Chris Colefax),
>which allow you to make a wide variety of things to meshes, such as
>deformations, morphing, hair-growing, etc.
>
>  They can be found at these places:
>
>http://enphilistor.users4.50megs.com/sss.htm
>http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax/pcm.html
>
>  (Note that due to the fact that (currently) you can't extract information
>from a mesh inside POV-Ray, the meshes have to be converted to a specialized
>format called PCM, which these macros can handle. The converter can be
>found at the second link above.)
>
>#macro M(A,N,D,L)plane{-z,-9pigment{mandel L*9translate N color_map{[0rgb x]
>-1<.7438.1795>1,20)M(1<.77595.13699>30,20)M(3<.75923.07145>80,99)// - Warp -

Thanks for your help. I was familiar with the compressed mesh, but the
surface subdivision stuff by John VanSickle is new to me. It sounds like
one I could learn a lot from.

If you're interested I'm going to move this HF_ macro talk to either
tutorials or advanced user area (maybe they need a special group for macros
here?) when I really get kicking on my macro writing (no doubt it will give
me lots of questions) and I'll share what I'm working on.

As noted before, this is no longer about patching. Only patching I want now
is a way to speed of the process... parsing takes forever when you use a
lot of resolution on the mesh.

Maybe complining macros so they run faster? I'm sure that's been discussed
before.

--normdoering